Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
Valentinian
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't risk it....
In reply to tedolf, Nov 19, 2012

tedolf wrote:

Ron Stein wrote:

I don't have any experience with underwater photography. I will be snorkeling in Mexico in the Playa del Carmen/Cozumel region.

I want to bring the best equipment I can in order to obtain the best possible pictures.

I am wondering if I should use one of the clear waterproof vinyl pouches with my OM-D and if so what focal length/speed lens would be best? (Note that a dedicated underwater hard camera case is probably out of my price range)

Working with a camera in a pouch might be awkward and difficult to shoot with. Alternatively might I likely get better overall results with a dedicated underwater point & shoot (with built in flash) and no pouch? If you have experience with underwater point and shoot, what point & shoot would you recommend?

Any tips that might obtain the best results would be appreciated.

just get a PannyTS-3. The video is outstanding. It is very difficult to get good still shots under water with out SCUBA because you can't get stable UW boyancy snorkling unless you use weights and a boyancy vest. For video, stability under water doesn't matter anywhere near as much.

Trust me on this one.

Tedolph

Just today I ordered an Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS at B&H

that will be a Christmas present to my 12 year old son who in April will go to a camp at the Florida Keys (snorkeling, swimming with a dolphin...)

(then,... I took the opportunity to also order for my E-M5 that PL 25/1.4 I was dreaming of for quite sometimes - but that's another story...)

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow