Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-5 II vs IIs: sample image moire removal report
In reply to Paradigm Changer, Nov 19, 2012

Paradigm Changer wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi P,

An interesting report on a problem which few people have had the chance to study.I would like to ask however, at what photo size the moiré is visible on photos?

Since the spacial frequency of the pattern depends on the difference in frequencies between the sensor pitch and the pattern, if you are unlucky you can get very low frequency patterns that no amount of reasonable down-sampling can fix.

Though of course you have to be in the habit of photographing screen doors and computer monitors for this to become a practical issue.

To close, I believe I am correct in saying that there isn't really a terminal solution to moire/aliasing as yet. However, Fuji's X-Trans sensor may be onto something as it mimics part of the way that the human eye seems to get around the problem (or is it all in the processing? ).

No, the arrangement of color pixels on the sensor itself is different. It's not random (which is how our eyeballs avoid the problem) but it is "more random" than the conventional Beyer array.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow