Why would AF be so slow on RX1?

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,648Gear list
Like?
Re: Contrast Detection vs. Phase Detection...
In reply to mastix, Nov 18, 2012

mastix wrote:

Well... don't agree on this. When you shoot moving people from short distance and you cannot rely on DOF because of open apertures, as many reporter or street photographers do, fast AF is critical. I bet you that many photographers will be using this 35mm mostly at f2-f4. In this condition you don't have the time to focus manually because once you nail focus the photo has vanished....

I'll have to disagree as well. You'd be surprised how fast you can manual focus with practice if you have to. Back in the old days of film and before there were AF cameras we were able to focus fast and accurately under the very conditions you describe with prime lenses. I could manually focus just as fast as a camera with AF, faster than cameras with CDAF. It became instinctive. Where AF is most useful is with zoom lenses where you have to zoom and focus at the same time.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow