kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?
Re: Monument Valley
In reply to greerd, Nov 18, 2012

greerd wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

greerd wrote:

Very nice, I want to make it there sometime, it's on my bucket list.

Great place to visit, very spectacular.

But while compiling the bucket list make sure to include Valley of the Gods, same sort of scenery but smaller and you get to drive all through it up close and personal. Dirt road and can be rough, average car with care will do it, my Hertz rental managed OK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Gods

That area plus generally in southern Utah has so much great scenery. A fantastic place on a small scale was Goblin Valley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_valley where you can walk all amongst the hoodoos and they are all sort of human size to say 4 times human size so a bit spooky evidently if visited at night. It was featured as an alien landscape in the sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest and when we saw it we both could say "been there, done that". Small area but extremely impressive.

Lots to see all 'round that area of northern Arizona and southern Utah. This Aussie has been to those areas twice, would go back any time.

Regards...... Guy

Thanks Guy, I've done the tourist thing from Phoenix to Las Vegas via Sedona, Grand Canyon, Hover Dam, but I would really love to visit an old John Wayne site. Gorgeous part of the world, and I'll keep your tips in mind.

-- hide signature --

Doug Greer

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I now live in the Texas Hill Country but I grew up in Utah. The entire area of Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, Southwest Colorado and Northwest New Mexico is an embarrassment of riches for landscape photographers. If you can't take a good picture there then your camera must be broken.

Don't forget that many of the best John Wayne westerns were directed by John Ford. I've got a real soft spot for those movies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow