Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
Valentinian
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
Re: should i grab a camera?
In reply to bon371, Nov 18, 2012

bon371 wrote:

Hey guys,

i'm a college student in graphic design, studying audio & visual arts.. as a beginner in photographical knowledge, i just want to ask, what is the difference between DSLR camera and video camera? because i'm kinda confused to focus on photography or.. moving pictures

Thank you very much, and sory for bad english guys, haha

I read you question and the few answers you got so far. It seem that some information is missing.

Do you know anything about "mirrorless" camera?

a DSLR has a mirror between the lens and the sensor. When you look in the viewfinder you see your subject thru the mirror. Then when you take a photo the mirror clicks up, the light hits the sensor and the photo is taken.

Whed a DSLR takes a movie the mirror is kept up, out of the way of the light thru the lens to the sensor.

As I mentioned before there is another more modern category of cameras, called "mirrorless". These cameras (made by Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Nikon...) do not have a mirror, therefore both the camera and the lenses can be designed to be smaller. These cameras take also excellent quality photos and excellent quality videos.

So if your interest is mainly still photos, you could look into both DSLR and Mirrorless. But if you are interested also to take a lot of videos, maybe a mirroless is better for you.

By the way, if you ask your college professor, as it was suggested by others (not by me) probably they will not suggest mirrorless, because they probably already personally invested in DSLR - Mirrorless are new.

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow