Old (1980) Sigma 70-230 Macro zoom any good?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dbbarron
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Old (1980) Sigma 70-230 Macro zoom any good?
Nov 18, 2012

I am trying to learn about Macro photography and only have a LX5 in macro mode (too close a working distance) or a D7k and a 1980 Sigma 70-230 Macro zoom (1:4 max, f/4) - Model 400064.

I am trying to understand the relative quality of this lens compared to a modern macro lens (e.g., Tokina 100/2.8, Nikon 105 micro, Nikon 200 micro). I understand that the Sigma is only a 1:4 ratio. Also, I took several test shots across its full range and it seems usably sharp at the short end and wide apertures and too soft to use at the long end. Of course, no AF, but the camera will meter in aperture priority mode

So, a few questions:

1. Relative quality compared to a modern lens?

2. To learn, how important is 1:1 relative to 1:4?

3. Tips on getting the most our of this lens?

4. What should my next step up in lenses be along the learning curve. (Assume I shoot DX today but will step up to FX at some point).

Below is a test shot at about 100mm, f/16 1/200 with a strobe on a radio trigger bounced off my hand about 3 feet away from the subject. Some post processing.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow