A moment of weakness

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
atamola
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Re: A moment of weakness
In reply to John Motts, Nov 18, 2012

Well, I do like to do some landscape photography, portraits, and whenever posible I try to "steal" candid shots from friends and family.

A far as lenses, Sigma 24 f/1.8, Samyang 35 f/1.4 (also Nikon 35 f/2 near retirement), Nikon 50 f/1.4D, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 70-300 VR. -thus, I think I'm ok as far as lenses go from 35 to 85mm.

I've given some thought to the coments. Fortunately I do have the money to go for it, and I agree with the idea that if its going to give me something I value then I shouldn't wait for no reason.

But after dwelling on the idea for a little while, I think I will pass.

The main reason is the following: years ago during my 365 project, I quickly understood that the limit to my photography was my creativity -not my gear. After that, I got into the "discipline" of making rational choices regarding equipment. That is, whatever equipment I bought, it had to have a clear, definite, purpose (lenses, bodies, tripods, triggers, gels, filters, everything) and help me to enjoy this craft I love so much.

And like I said in my original post, I'm not shooting that much at the moment (for various reasons). Thus, I had to accept that buying a D800 would not make my photography better or more enjoyable. Before that, I have to go back to use my equipment as before. And only when I start hitting a clear restriction start thinking about a solution (which may be new gear, but not necessarilly).

Thus, I think it's a matter of (a humble, modest) artistic honesty on the one hand, and trying to keep the geeky gear-head inside me at bay.

PS: thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughs and opinions (in a very polite way, I must say).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow