Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 or Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR ?

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Questions thread
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 or Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR ?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Nov 18, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

build quality, CA control, and lightning fast focusing.

You'll have that lens for years and if you decide to sell you'll get at least 80% of what you paid; pro glass holds its value much better than consumer lens and camera bodies.

No. As one who has sold a bunch of cheap and expensive lenses, the 24-85VR will fetch just as high a percentage of its original purchase price as any of the fancier stuff. For instance, I just sold my 40G Micro for $40 less than I paid for it.

The question is now and forever with the 24-70: do you want to lug around this great big, heavy lens for a slight increase in dof and corner sharpness, yes or no?

You make no response to the 24-70's build quality, CA control and lightning-fast focus that I mention because you know that consumer glass can't match these attributes, in addition to color rendition, contrast, sharpness, etc.

Ironically, you bring up corner sharpness, which any Nikon 24-70 f2.8 owner knows in an area of WEAKNESS for the lens at certain focal lengths, so you really don't seem to know much about this lens' strengths and weaknesses. (As you can see, I'm realistic about the lens, not trying to claim it's perfect; it's just the best midrange zoom that Nikon offers.)

And despite your claim you've sold "a bunch" (!) of lenses, that's not the overall trend; pro glass maintains its resale value much better than consumer glass. End of story.

Finally, Reilly, you're an incredible wimp if you consider the 24-70 heavy. Man up, son.

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow