Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: The Guardian newspaper's Photography Masterclass website
In reply to Wellington100, Nov 18, 2012

Wellington100 wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/series/photography-masterclass

Some of the articles were worth reading. I liked the ones on landscape and street photography, haven't read several of the others, but the one with the "Choosing the right camera" link (and titled "​Buyer's guide: the 10 best cameras") was inappropriately named. A more reasonable title might have been "Different classes of cameras and an exemplar for each". For the high end PJ/Sports DSLR, the Canon EOS-1DX was chosen. While it's an excellent camera, only an idiot or a photographic newbie with status aspirations or money to burn (doctors, dentist, lawyers. . .) would use this article as the basis for "Choosing the right camera". Near the opposite end of the camera spectrum Nikon's L25 was chosen as the best Budget Compact. Having bought a couple of Nikon's L series cameras, I'm well aware of how mediocre they are, at best. Oops, the next of the ten choices was also for a Budget Compact, Canon's Powershot A4000. If this article was published on paper it would have been a sad waste of paper and ink. There were also two Mid-range cameras selected for the Best Cameras list, Panasonic's TZ30 and Sony's NEX-5R.  I'm suddenly inspired to get a mid-range camera. Will it be the TZ30 or the NEX-5R? I'm not sure which one it will be. If only the choice of colors had been listed I might have had a way to pick the best one. Bleah.  On the other hand, one of the Guardian's sidebar links struck Gold with a link to Silver so there's another reason to thank you for the masterclass link.

> Nate Silver: it's the numbers, stupid

> The poker player and baseball nerd turned political forecaster won fame after predicting the result of the US election with uncanny accuracy. And as his star rises so too does that of a whole new generation of 'quants' leading the digital revolution

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/17/nate-silver-interview-election-data-statistics

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow