Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pcassel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,972Gear list
Like?
MP-E Question
Nov 18, 2012

Although I'd not done any significant macro work in the past, I impulsively purchased an 65mm MP-E due to it being such a screaming deal that it seemed too good to pass up. A pro needed it for a project. He did his work and made his money so put the lens out for sale. I ended up with the lens in new condition for a silly price.

Anyway, I am, as expected, finding getting reasonable results somewhat difficult to say the least. As I say, this isn't something unexpected as I knew I was delving into serious territory without the requisite background to succeed there without a good deal of experimentation and the added experience that experimentation would yield.

I had a private messaging with one fellow here who is using this lens successfully (to say the least) using natural light but I'm not finding the same. I'm wondering if this lens is reasonable to use without supplemental lighting unless one has extraordinary skill as my correspondent exhibits. Do you who do well with this lens use it with either the 14 ex or 24 ex lights? Would a cheapie Chinese imitation of the 24 ex (lacking TTL) be a low cost (U$140) alternative to the 24ex?

If flash lighting would make the going significantly easier, then of the two, ring light or two side lighting, would be better for use with this lens? Or would adding a flash to this rig only increase the complexity making my results poorer and learning time even greater?

All comments appreciated including if you razz me for having gotten myself into this situation.

-- hide signature --

-paul

ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow