A65 plus kit lenses or Tamron 18-270 PZD?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Neeyon
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: A65 plus kit lenses or Tamron 18-270 PZD?
In reply to Soob, Nov 18, 2012

I'm a big fan of the 18-270 PZD and have used it primarilly for travel. To put it simply, if I could only have 1 lens to take with me on a trip anywhere, it would be the 18-270 without any doubt. While it's not a perfect lens I have always been more-than-satisfied by it's performance. Yes there is a bit of distortion (especially at the wide end), but rarely so much that I need to correct in PP. Sharpness is pretty good too except at the extreme long end, but even then it can be improved signficantly by stopping down to F8 or F10.

If you're going to be using this lens for travel I can tell you from first-hand experience that having such a wide zoom range in one lens is priceless, even if there are some small optical compromises to be made. Aside from the weight/size advantage of having 1 lens vs 2, you don't have to worry about missing shots because you have to change lenses at a key moment (a common headache when using a typical 18-55+55-200 combo), and less lens changes also means less opportunity to get dust or moisture inside the camera.

If you wanted to get another lens to go with the Tamron I'd suggest adding a prime like a 35, 50 or 85 rather than getting two zooms (unless you needed a long zoom which gets you to 300mm+, or you needed a wide angle lens like a 10-20 for architectural photography).

I use an A55, and I find that having the 18-270 PZD + a Sony 50 F1.8 covers most travel-related situations...everything from a crowded market, to a mountaintop, to a museum. I have a number of extra items in the gear bag like an F43 flash, 70-400G, a 90mm macro and a wide angle adapter, but I only take these with me when I know I'm likely to need them. Otherwise, for general walkaround I've found the the A55+18-270+50 to be a lightweight and very practical combo.

Neeyon's gear list:Neeyon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow