sel 18-200 or sel 18-200le?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,075Gear list
Like?
Re: sel 18-200 or sel 18-200le?
In reply to Gnagno, Nov 18, 2012

Gnagno wrote:

thanks a lot. l've read somewhere that the "le" version is not exactly a rebaged tamron, but it has three different kind of lenses. my hope was to see the same picture taken with the different lens. but it is easyer to find a review on the zuiko 50 1.4 vs the zuiko 50 1.8 .... funny?

The Tamron and the rebadged Sony LE are of the same optical design, but there is a difference in sweep panorama. The way the Tamron fix to the initial pano problem is a "hard" fix, i.e. fixed the shutter speed at 1/500s like a dumb adapted legacy lens.  If pano is important for you, the LE might be a better choice.

The original Sony has an active IS for video.  So this would be preferred if video taking is important for you.  But it is larger and heavier. Otherwise the Tamron is the cheapest.

Some people said the original Sony has a slight edge in IQ.  It does not affect my choice, as these are lenses with high compromises.  I picked the LE for flexibility, only used it twice on my NEX-7 after 4 months, my only e lens.  It is the IQ, stup*d.

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow