m.zuiko 45mm f/1.8 any good as all rounder?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?
Re: m.zuiko 45mm f/1.8 any good as all rounder?
In reply to fender22, Nov 18, 2012

fender22 wrote:

I've read the reviews on this lens and seem very favorable.

It is classed as a portrait lens and many of my photos are short range photos.

I'm not happy with my standard 14-42 and by all accounts this lens is much sharper.

Would this suit as a general walk around lens and still be ok for the odd landscape as well?

I have a separate 200mm zoom to use when required

if you are planning to only use one lens, or one prime, then I think that 45mm is a little long. I like to use it when I'm walking in the streets, but I do also own shorter focal lenses (12, 14, 20, 25mm) and prefer to work with a two lens set (along with the 12 or 14mm), or in a three lens set (along with the 12, plus the 20 or 25mm). During film times, compacts coming with a fixed lens used to offer a focal lens between 32-38mm. That is what I would call an allround lens : it would allow both monuments, landscapes and family shots.

On mft cameras, if you are looking for a single allround prime, I'd rather take one of them : the new Olympus 17mm F1.8, the Panasonic 20mm F1.7, or the Panasonic 25mm F1.4. Those would be more versatile focal lenses.

As for landscape, I'm often using longer focal lenses, because they allow you to avoid clutter more easily. You can take landscape pictures with any focal lengths. A landscape lens is not necessarily a short focal allowing you to include the maximum of elements in the frame. On the contrary, this often results iun boring pictures. It is different if you are interested in cityscapes where you will need shorter focals to get the full height of the buildings.

To sum up : if you want a complement to your kitzoom, get the 45mm, you will be happy to use it for many things, but keep the kitzoom with you for when you need wider. For instance the 45mm may be too long to shoot people indoors, unless you are going for head and shoulder portraits and you won't be able to shoot buildings in big cities. If you want to replace your kitzoom with one single lens you may be better with a shorter lens : the 45mm is equivalent to 90mm in full frame and is already a short tele, not a normal lens.

Conclusion : look at your past pictures taken with the kitzoom and see at what focal lengths you tend to shoot it; if you are using it at its longest extremity most of the time, then you will be happy with the 45mm. The preferred focal length is a very personnal thing. You have uto find it for yourself.

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow