Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,524Gear list
Like?
Re: The British Museum with my E-PL5
In reply to Alexis D, Nov 18, 2012

Alexis D wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.

I find it strange that anything taken from another country and especially something invaluable to those countries and their people can be just kept indefinitely and even openly displayed as if it's right.

I suppose might is right after all, in spite of the Magna Carter and all the talk of the system of law or the high moral and ethical grounds that some countries purport to have.

I certainly think it's true that the way many of (though certainly not all) the artifacts in question were acquired in ways which might give us cause for concern now and that don't stand up to the high moral and ethical standards of today.

But where do you draw the line? The inevitable consequence is that the museums of the world are emptied. In any event, I'm not the museum, nor do I think DPreview is the right place to debate all of this. By all means make your views plain, but I suspect my blog (see the link in the original post) or other non photography focused fora are a better place to do that as opposed to here.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow