Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoboken Michelle
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
RE: G1-X image quality at a Saturday cat show - tough lighting and high ISO
Nov 18, 2012

So, I hit the Westchester County, NY cat show this afternoon with my new G1-X to see what it could do in a convention center.

Below I've posted ten pics of cats there, including pics 2&3 which show the cats in a (sort-of) costume contest. Pics 2&3 were also done using the digital teleconverter (1.9 range).  The last pic of the cat (Nina - "Cat of the Year") is a normal calico except for the fact that she has done wonders for the family that she belongs to. Apparently, Nina can virtually "read"/sympathize with the feelings of the developmentally disabled children and has responded to them consistently in a positive and meaningful manner. These are the first set of pics I've posted on this website and amongst the first I've taken with the camera.

Almost all pics are ISO 3200 with shutter speed priority. I chose custom color with minus one for green and red. Shot all these in JPEG - not RAW - though allowed the camera to choose shadow correction (auto) and highlight protection (auto). Post-processing was fairly limited - with no additional sharpening...mostly cropping and fine-tuning using LEVELS sliders in GIMP. I did NOT use any flash and didn't seem to use the AF illuminating light for these pics.

Hope to be a periodic poster to the Canon forum going forward. Unlike most of you - presumably - I bought the camera largely to take pictures in tough situations...that tend to bring together friends and organized groups in the www.meetup.com environment. Am always stuck wanting to take pics in locations and timeperiods that are difficult for image quality (restaurants, outdoors in sun, inside houses, clubs, dark areas). I see a lot of really nice pics that many of you have taken with the G1-X, but I seem to continue headed down a different road.

Fortunately, these pics seem to indicate that quality - not performance, per se - is a solid step up from the G12 that I was shooting with for a year or so.

Affectionately,

Hoboken-Michelle

Hoboken Michelle's gear list:Hoboken Michelle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow