Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,222
Like?
Re: biggest
In reply to Gordon W, Nov 18, 2012

Gordon W wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

i wonder about people who switched over to digiital 12 years ago and gave up on film at that time.

Obviously they had no clue what they were doing.

those early digital cameras were not even in the same world as 120 or 4x5

Quite true.

they had poor colors, horid dynamic range, devoid of tone ect....

Well, that's quite the overstatement.

on the other hand 4x 5 was the stuff that masterpieces were made of

On the other hand, not every shot needs to be a masterpiece that can be blown up to mural size or have a life expectancy of two millennia.

Case in point, before 1999 a client of mine sent their semiconductors out to a local pro photographer for product shots because at that point in my life I had quit shooting photography myself (after decades of photography I had gotten to hate working with film and did only graphic design). This pro photographer gave it his usual full blown pro treatment with medium format, preliminary polaroids to check lighting, etc, shot one or two rolls of 120 even though only one shot was required, had the film processed, sent me the film, which I then had to have scanned. Typical turnaround from the time I was given the semiconductor until I had a digital file in hand was roughly 4 to 5 days which took several trips from the burbs to downtown and cost something like $1,500. Then in 1999 I bought a lowly little 2MP Nikon CoolPix 950 for my own personal use and discovered it not only had wonderful macro capability but deep DOF as well, so out of curiosity I used it to photograph one of the semiconductors and found what it gave me was quite acceptable for the purpose those photographs were used for, which was in 4 x 5 inch prints for PR usage and in magazine ads where the chip was never more than 1 or 2 inches long. This shows how one was used in a PR photo...

The background was shot by someone who specialized in that kind of photography and I then layered my semiconductor photo over it in Photoshop. Turnaround from the time I put the semiconductor on the table until I had a digital file of it in the computer was 15 minutes and the final cost was a small fraction of what the pro had charged. For him to give this photo requirement his full blown treatment was complete overkill, like killing flies with a bazooka. I tried to convince him not every shot needed MF film and digital, even at that early stage of the game was plenty good enough for small catalog product shots and he needed to give digital a try. He wouldn't do it, so I took over shooting the semiconductors and laughed all the way to the bank.

So you can scoff at the state of digital photography in 2000, but I haven't bought a roll of film since then because there's been no need to for the kind of photography I shoot (I don't shoot masterpieces). I eventually gave away all my film cameras and the bag of 120 film that was kept refrigerated, because they were just collecting dust. Digital in 2000 not only made me a lot of money but it also rekindled my interest in photography which makes it the best thing that ever happened to me photographically.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Gordon

Yeap, somtimes "good enough" is.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
NopeNew
TrueNew
DustNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow