Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re: Not to mention...
In reply to Chris59, Nov 18, 2012

Chris59 wrote:

FeedMe wrote:

It's a bit of bullshiit..

"..half said they would not visit the doctor when sick.."

Aussie's have medicare, so doctors cost only the gap payment, about $30 and prescriptions are free or $5 (depending on what welfare you're on).

I won't dispute the 10% poverty thing - it's pretty true, but that is just sensationalist crap.

-- hide signature --

I don't care enough about you to put a sig. here.

...many (most?) doctors "bulk bill" which means that the patent pays nothing at all for a trip to the doctor.

I think that poverty in Australia is created by people who are too stupid to learn how to read and write, too lazy to work and too addicted to alcohol, gambling and tobacco. This might be a "controversial" view but I can tell you that working in the "welfare secor" for over 20 years, this is the case for the overwhelming majority of people who are considered poor in his report.

There is certainly poverty where it is not the person's "fault" and bad luck and/or circumstances conspire to place them in that position, but the Australian welfare system is such that this kind of poverty is temporary and nowhere as debilitating as poverty in almost every other country in the world.

If people stopped trying to find someone else to blame for their shortcomings and failings (the "victim" mentality) and instead started trying to fix their problems, we would all be better off.

What was it that JFK said?... Oh, yes... "Ask not what your country can do for you but rather ask what you can do for your country."

Fully agree with you. Many are too comfortable to be on welfare for years on and on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow