Current favourite(s) for noise reduction software?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neeyon
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Current favourite(s) for noise reduction software?
Nov 18, 2012

Let me start by saying that I know this is a topic that comes up pretty regularly, but with the updates for current software + new software on the markets every few months, I think it is worth revisiting from time-to-time. For the record, I'll also mention that I'm an A55 user.

I have historically used LR3 or PS CS5 combined with Noise Ninja (majority of processing done in LR3, CS5 only used for tricky adjustments or extensive PP) and this has worked very well for me. However I have recently upgraded to LR4, and feel that there is an improvement in NR capabilities (for my A55 ARW files at any rate), particularly for handling Chroma noise. This has me using NN much less frequently these days.

From reading other posts over the past few months, it also seems that Topaz Denoise seems to have become the unofficial favourite plug-in for Sony users, whereas a year or so back there seemed to be a more even split between Topaz and NN (plus other processing software such as Capture 1, Aperture or even those using Sony's bundled software). This is obviously a VERY informal/anecdotal observation though, so please don't hold me to it!

So just curious on opinions / experiences from others. What software are you currently using, and what trends (if any) have you noticed in terms of software being utilized most frequently? Also curious from people who may have changed recently, and what benefits you have gotten from making the switch.

Neeyon's gear list:Neeyon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow