X-S1 horrible gradations

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark H
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
Atmospheric stratification - JPEG compression...
In reply to brianj, Nov 18, 2012

brianj wrote:

Phil_Rose wrote:

Thanks all for the constructive responses. I was shooting on tripod, 100 iso. Can't find metadata to tell me the DR (maybe you can see it?). Sharpness is Medium High, WB Auto, Color, medium Low. Exposure is 0.0EV.

I am a little embarrassed as I look at the original and see how much better it is. It seems the bad things begin to happen rather more as soon as I under expose by a stop. I've uploaded another I took in a bracketing trio which was underexposed by 1 stop and it seems rather more noticeable.

Obviously I am aware that this is not a DSLR but these results are not anything like as good as I see from the smaller sensor in the Canon G12. Never seen this sort of banding.

I have Lightroom but really don't get on with it. Still, it's interesting to see the different results you are seeing. I can't afford to sink ANOTHER $250 on SilkyPix to go along with LR, ACDSee, PS CS6!

Will RAW really be worse that JPG? Wouldn't the lack of initial in camera processing lead to better results?

Unfortunately I don't have a raw version of these files. I shot only JPG but you can bet I'm going to start shooting in RAW and JPG for occasions such as this so I can see what the differences are!

I will try those JPG settings and see what I get. I want to shoot large size as I don't see any point in shooting smaller. Storage is cheap! Unless you have another reason to shoot small?

One other, unrealted question... do you find the X-S1 seems to shoot rather bright? 

Stupid rotated image!

The darker image with rather worse banding.

Possibly I'm being a big worrier and need to go out and take some pictures?!

How can you know if this wasn't just the way the clouds were arranged in the atmosphere in sort of horizontal windblown streaks, which are shown up by the late sun lighting them to different degrees.? I don't think dust and clouds arrange themselves in a perfect gradient so our photos look ideal.

Brian

I think you may well be right.

It's not uncommon to see 'atmospheric stratification', especially when the air is relatively still - dust and pollution at lower levels/layers, etc.

Nevertheless, I still think that in some part it may still be partly due to the limitations of the camera/image processing's ability to deal with such a shallow gradient and subtle colour transition.

Unfortunately, these samples posted above are very heavily JPEG compressed, which is contributing significantly to subtle colour error/inaccuracies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow