PDAF issue on D800E

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
fabgo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
Re: PDAF issue on D800E
In reply to S1m0n, Nov 18, 2012

Simon,

I just got my D800 back from Nikon Service, to fix the left AF issue. I still need to do some more testing, but as far as I can tell, the issue is "fixed"... meaning the right side AF is now just as inaccurate as the left, or maybe vice versa. I do think the left AF is somewhat better that before I sent it in, it no longer back-focuses by a mile, but it's still significant. On the flip side, the center AF points are accurate, maybe even front-focus a bit. So using AF fine tune will not help me.

I suspect part of the issue is the edge and corner AF points simply aren't very accurate. This has always been the case in previous modules, and the D800 simply might not be any better, especially considering the high resolution.

I might send my camera back in and see if they can adjust the edges a bit more to bring them more in line with the center, but I don't have high hopes.

One final thought: have you considered that it might be the lens? You have tested three camera bodies, but have you tried different lenses?

-- hide signature --

Fabian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow