Help with landscape lens choice

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223
Like?
Re: Help with landscape lens choice
In reply to Lawnmower Shooter, Nov 17, 2012

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

The tamron 17-50 2.8 (the non vc version) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550721-REG/Tamron_AF016P_700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html is one of the best IQ lenses you can buy for that focal range, it is just as sharp as any prime you can buy across it's entire frame. The image is very sharp and flat from F5.6 up to F16 (peak is @F8). The Sigma version is slightly sharper at wider apertures, slightly softer at smaller apertures. The Tamron is only $500, and it is an amazing portrait lens @50mm on top of it. I will be getting the Sigma for $620 simply because it's just a bit sharper for low light shooting, but both can match any WA prime you find.

I'll repeat the comment I gave earlier.

Interestingly I bought that lens with the camera a few weeks ago. It is currently sent back for service because the edges were awful and the whole image soft by f8. Being pessimistic I’m not confident that the returned lens will live up to expectations which is why I’m researching an alternative.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow