Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,264Gear list
Like?
stupidity check on Win 7, 32 or 64 bit?
Nov 17, 2012

I have all of the parts to build a new system, including Win 7 pro, 64bit. Now I'm having second thoughts about the need for 64bit. The primary use of the machine is photo editing, CS6, LR4, etc. It will also probably be my internet machine.

I've heard of many issues with 64bit apps and hardware, but I assumed that it wouldn't be much of an issue for me, since all of my hardware is supposed to be 64bit compatible. Software is a different matter. I have some 64bit applications, but the majority will be 32bit.

I've never even seen a 64bit system in use, so have no idea as to speed and stability. I just want a solid, stable system that isn't constantly giving me problems. I'd much prefer a slow system that is stable and works with everything that I want to use, than have a fast, but unreliable system.

So, am I being stupid by 2nd guessing my move to 64bit?

Thanks for helping out the 64bit n00b.

EDIT:  Almost forgot, I'm looking at external storage,  USB 3 and the WD Live ethernet drives. Seems to me that it would be faster and easier to use the WD ethernet drive over USB 3.  Any issues or something I'm missing?

thanks again

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow