Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L 11 USM lens feeback

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
jimzenglish
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Another viewpoint
In reply to nikt, Nov 17, 2012

nikt wrote:

Nobody really seemed to answer your question above about how well the 24-105 f/4L will blur backgrounds for portraits.

It will do it slightly better @105mm f4 than the 24-70 f/2.8 @70mm f2.8.

Focal length (in this case 105mm and 70mm) divided by f-number (f4 and f2.8 respectively) equals the actual size of the aperture in mm. 105/4 = 26mm. 70/2.8 = 25mm. This is the diameter of the hole that lets light in to the lens, and is the best indicator of the ability of a lens to produce out of focus backgrounds easily. The larger the size of the aperture in mm (just apply the formula above), the better the background blur.

Have you thought about a pair or even three EF primes for the same money as you are willing to spend on the 16-35? Even the non-L series EF primes can deliver stunning quality, consider 24 f2.8, 35 f2, 40 2.8(cheap and tiny), both 50 f1.8 and 1.4 versions, 85 1.8, 100 2.

The 100 f2 has an aperture of 50mm which will provide far more blur than any of the other lenses mentioned in this thread. And has lightning fast AF and great build. Look up the price, amazing value. Add the amazing 40 2.8 for a steal, perhaps the 17mm tokina prime for landscape.

Then when you buy a FF camera you will still have a good setup.

You will hear that Depth of Field is related to all sorts of things, focal length, format etc, but only 2 factors affect DOF,

1 size of aperture (NOT f-number)

2 magnification of subject.

-- hide signature --

All matter is energy condensed to a higher vibration,

And we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

Death is an illusion, Life is a dream,

And we are the imagination of ourselves.

Thanks Nikt you're right I have thought about going the prime lens option instead. As you say three lenses would be perfect and all for the same or cheaper price than one zoom.

The only thing holding me back from that is with the USM zoom lens I could also use this for video work while the prime lenses would be restrictive. I also like the flexibility of the one lens.

I'm thinking the EFS 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM lens would be a good solution as even with a crop camera the 17 is wide enough and 55 is fine with me for portraits. Maintaining the 2.8 over the zoom range is really useful.

But even if I bought this lens I may get a prime lens to compliment it.

Thanks so much for your info

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow