Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
rinsephotographic
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?
Re: Here are ny responses
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Nov 17, 2012

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

1. Max shutter speed of 1/4000.

In my mind that is not a big limitation. I have always owned cameras with max shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. But I really can't remember when was the last time I shot at that speed. I have frequently gone up to around 1/2000 but not any faster. To be able to make an informed decision, what you can do is download one of the "free" photo analysis software programs and run it on your computer. It will show you a complete analysis of counts of images you have shot at different shutter speeds. If you find you shoot a lot at faster shutter speed, then D600 is not a camera for you. Given the fact that you can go down to 50 ISO equivalent in D600, it only helps you stay under that shutter speed.

agreed. i am having a hard time imagining where my photography would be limited by a 1/4000 shutter speed. in fact, i don't think i've ever looked at that specification or been aware of the top shutter speed on any camera i've ever owned. i see a lot of people inventing situations or creating highly specific scenarios where it might be useful but i highly doubt that the situation would actually arise...or that if it did, a person couldn't figure out an easy and immediate work around.

portraits at f/1.4 in the caribbean sun? you must not do a lot of portrait work because if you did, you'd obviously know that there is NO WAY you would be shooting anything serious even close to the harsh light of midday and, if you were, you'd be using reflectors, fill, likely a 3 stop polarizer and certainly not f/1.4. a lot of my portrait work (and everybody else's) was done with MF gear with leaf shutters with a top sync of 1/500.

am i saying that there is no way anyone could ever use a shutter speed of 1/8000? no, but it seems unlikely enough to not really consider it a limitation. pradipta's suggestion is a good one: look at your photos, see how often you shoot at super fast speeds.

2. Flash sync speed of 1/200th of a second.

Again, not a big issue in my mind. Even if that hit the limit for a fill flash situation, you can simply dial in to "Auto FP" to support much faster shutter speed - technically up to 1/4000 sec.

this has always been a limiting factor and, therefor, simply isn't a limiting factor. all of us who shoot with a lot of flash long ago figured out how to get around this. pocket wizard's new hyper sync is awesome if one really needs flash and high speeds.

3. Aperture control in movie mode-

Not a problem unless you are an avid videographer that needs to control depth of field every moment. Even if you are, the workaround is simple. Simply stop, change the aperture and start shooting again. I don't know how many amateurs change apertures while shooting video. As far as I know, most of the camcorders don't let you change you apertures at all.

i can see how people would be frustrated with this as it really is a bit of a 'wow' oversight. however, as an actual limitation, i think it applies only to hobbyists experimenting with their video function. while i do not shoot any video myself, one of my friends (and weekend photography partner) is an D/AD in the movie industry; he owns several dslr rigs (canon - the enemy!) for doing high end commercials and indie shorts and movies. i have never seen him or his cinematographers use lenses that don't have manual focus and manual aperture control. indeed, most of their lenses are stepless aperture cine lenses. i don't know how much they change aperture mid-scene, however, so i can't comment on how useful or not useful the whole thing is, but i can say that automatic aperture control is not really something they would ever think about. honestly, the amount of gear they use is very imposing. and expensive.

4. AF-ON -

If your shooting habit involves using the AF-ON to track focus, then this could be a problem. But only you can tell whether this is a problem for you or not. I use the AF-ON exclusively when I shoot my kids sports. So, that would've been a big problem for me if I was considering D600.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated. No dust or oil comments please.

i use AF-ON for focus so that i can decouple my meter from my focus...which means i also use AE LOCK a lot too. this actually is a large imitation for me.

Oil spots is not a problem at all. One really needs to learn to clean the sensor if they want to use a DSLR. We had the same problem with D3. But it literally went away after the first thousand or so shots.

cleaning sensors is second nature to those of us who lived through the early days of digital slrs. obviously, persistent oil or dust spots are less than ideal, but so was the fact that my d2x collected dust like a vacuum. annoyed me but i dealt with it. i'd rather not have to clean, but it wouldn't be a major factor in my decision to buy/not buy a d600...af-on a bigger thing for me.

in the end, the d600 is just like any camera as ever been since, well, since the dawn of photography: capable in some ways, limited in other. this is obssession with the 'perfect camera' is laughable. cameras (and lenses) are tools. if you are serious, you don't own just one. i think all of this hyper-analysis we're seeing is coming from people who are punching above their photographic weight class; they've stretched themselves to buy the 'perfect camera' and are now carping because it isn't perfect in every way they want it to be. so buy another camera that compliments your current camera. can't afford it? work around it, take photos to experiment with how best to do so. the challenge will be good for you, trust me.

-- hide signature --

dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow