IS reaction time - is IS fast enough?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,109
Like?
Re: IS reaction time - is IS fast enough?
In reply to photostarts, Nov 17, 2012

photostarts wrote:

This has been an informative thread - thank you everyone for describing your in-the-field experience with IS. That's just what I wanted to discover.
Oddly, the Jessops salesman's hard sell of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM came in response to a question I'd asked him about pancake lenses - because I wanted something lightweight and inconspicuous for street photography.
I've calculated that a Canon 5DIII + EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake = 1080 g (which is actually lighter than a Nikon D600 + 50mm f/1.4).
"No," he said, "you don't want to be right into people's faces...this is what you need..." and he showed me the 70-200mm.
Anyway, because the conversation had drifted so far off-course I ended up with a written quote for a whole bunch of stuff (no pancakes) for a grand total of £5833.18.
The cost of the 40mm pancake, incidentally, is a mere £132 in some outlets.

Well, your thinking is fine. It's just a question what you shoot. For candid portraits, 40mm is indeed wide, but for whole street scenes, it would be fine. For a more candid approach, you could also use something like a 85mm f1.8, or 100mm lens. Ok, the 70-200 zoom is more flexible, but as you see, it's getting big. And you only have f4 (you can up ISO of course), unless you go with the f2.8 version which is rather monstrous, so to speak. You might even consider a Rebel. together with a 40mm, it's 64mm, and even more compact.  A 50mm f1.4 is also not that big.

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow