Will it be possible to take excellent portraits with the RX1?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,451Gear list
Like?
Re: Will it be possible to take excellent portraits with the RX1?
In reply to sroute, Nov 17, 2012

sroute wrote:

What I was trying to get across with my "waste of time" comment was that argument over what constitutes portrait photography was pointless as there can be no dispute that there are many approaches to portrait photography.

Yeah, "waste of time" was inelegant, IMO 

My sense after reading a number of the comments here is that some believe portraiture falls into some narrow bin defined by physical, not artistic, dimensions such as focal length and distance from subject. I would hope that portraiture like any aspect of photography and art is not so tightly constrained to the mundane!

I think a concern with technique or gear may sometimes be used to avoid the hard part of portraiture which, IMO, is to convey something of the sitter's personality. Man Ray said, "Of course, there will always be those who look only at technique, who ask 'how', while others of a more curious nature will ask 'why'. Personally, I have always preferred inspiration to information."

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow