EOS M and focus speed

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jorrit
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
Re: EOS M and focus speed
In reply to Peter Bendheim, Nov 17, 2012

I did attach a number of different lenses to the EOS M using the EF adapter and did some quick focussing tests. The lens that came with my EOS M was the 22mm, which doesn't focus particularly fast.

I've tried these lenses with the EF adapter:

Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM
Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II
Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 24-105mm 4.0 L IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II USM
Canon EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM

I skipped on the EF-S lenses.

Note that this was just a really short test, in fairly bad light conditions. Though I was outside during the day, it was heavily overcast, foggy, and generally felt dark enough for lord Sauron to invade any minute now.

While there are differences between lenses, all in all focusing just felt really slow, with all of them. The 70-200 was noticably faster than the 16-35 in my quick tests, but would still take at least a second to focus. Something to note is that it seems you can feel a two-stage focus with the 70-200, where it jumps to almost-in-focus really quickly, then spends ages micro-adjusting the focus. Might point to a software issue with contrast detection (but don't take my word for it).

Focus was spot-on with the better of these lenses though. Obviously excluding the 50mm's, which are terrible at focusing regardless of which camera you put them on ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow