Professional printer for home use vs outsourcing prints

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Questions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Professional printer for home use vs outsourcing prints
In reply to Jalmod90, Nov 17, 2012

If you mostly shoot for web galleries and make occasional prints, let a lab do it.  If you shoot with the final output goal being a fine art print, you really can only achieve (personal) perfection by doing it yourself.

Many of us spent years making prints in wet darkrooms.  I loved it then, but what a PITA compared to what can be done digitally with a good printer now.  I print to an Epson 3880 that I've had for 3 years and it still feels like Christmas every time I see the print emerging slowly from the front of the printer.  I feel like I'm getting away with something that's too good to be true!

Doing your own prints allows you to fine-tune your skills over time.  Even though my prints look exactly like I want, my visual opinion of what makes a good print changes over time.  I can easily just turn on the printer, make a few artisitic changes to the file and have a new print in minutes.  It all depends on what you consider fun or necessary.

The final print is the result of all the artistic and technical decisions I made up to that point.  I won't let someone else step in at the end of the process and inject their own vision to my workflow.  You have to decide what's important to you.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow