Selecting the right shoe-mount flash

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
hemi71cuda
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Selecting the right shoe-mount flash
In reply to geoffmalter, Nov 17, 2012

geoffmalter wrote:

Can anyone point me to or send me the link for a tutorial on how to evaluate the appropriate strength flash for it's intended purpose? I am new to the A57 and want to purchase the Sony 85mm f/2.8, mainly for portrait, non-studio casual shooting. I intend to use it both indoors and out (family gatherings, social events with friends, etc). My other lens is the 18-135mm.

Recommendations to specific products also appreciated. I'd like to keep the upper cost (new) limited to $150-200 USD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Since no one else has mentioned it, IMHO 85mm sounds way too long for indoor gatherings w/ family/friends. Before buying, set your zoom lens to 85mm and leave it there for a day and play around indoors to make sure you're ok with not being able to go wider.

As far as flash goes, in your price range it sounds like the Metz 50 is a winner for you. I've heard lots of good stuff about it and if you're gonna have an external flash, you're better off with a full size like the 50 than the small Sony f20 which is the only Sony flash within your budget. An external flash bounced off the ceiling will do wonders for your indoor photos(I found this out recently!). Cheers!

hemi71cuda's gear list:hemi71cuda's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A57 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow