Will the Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS E-mount Make The Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 Less Desired?

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
Re: Will the Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS E-mount Make The Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 Less Desired?
In reply to captjoe06, Nov 17, 2012

captjoe06 wrote:

kev777zero wrote:

they are both considered "normal" focal lengths, so yes, given more options people might choose one over the other. in practice though they are actually quite different. As a one lens solution I would choose 24mm over 35mm; it gets difficult sometimes shooting indoors when you're trying to get everyone in the picture, or when trying to get some landscape pictures. Benefit of 35mm over 24mm is that it'll be easier to get candid shots, but I'm not into taking pics of random strangers on the street, and even if I do there's the Sony 50mm 1.8 that does a better job for that.

My line of thinking was that $1100 for the Zeiss is a difficult pill to swallow for many but $500 for the 355 and the inclusion of OSS would make it a popular choice.

Had it been offered last Christmastime I surely would have bought it instead of the Zeiss.

I dig my Zeiss 24 but it was a reach for me to spend that dough last year. At the time there was no alternative with autofocus though.

I agree, as I got the Zeiss too earlier this year. If the Sony 35mm was announced before I bought the Zeiss I would've gone for the 35mm just for the money reason. But now that I have the Zeiss I think it be pretty stupid to sell my Zeiss for the Sony just to "save money"

My take on it is that when I purchase a lens it's more like I'm renting them, since I can always sell it again a few years later for at least 80% of its original pricing. So given that reasoning I'd pick the Zeiss because I like the 24mm better (plus it's Zeiss quality!).

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow