Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ken Strain
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
E-PM2: raindrop surprise - hot sensor
Nov 17, 2012

After some very dull weather since I got my newest camera, at last there was a chance to the little E-PM2 during a morning run in a local forest - autumn colours and glimpses of sunlight, mist and raindrops.

Surprise 1 (bad): during a lens change a single water drop fell from a leaf, was caught by the light wind, and with amazing precision landed on the sensor - oops.

For a moment I wondered what to do, but I remembered reading that the Sony column ADC sensors were quite hot running, so I just put the camera in my backpack, and jogged through the forest for 10 minutes with the camera left on (it took a few accidental photos in all sorts of strange settings as random buttons got pressed).

Surprise 2 (good): that actually worked! Within less than 10 minutes the 2 to 3mm diameter raindrop had gone almost without a trace (judged later in an f/11 picture of a white wall).  On close inspection there is a small area of residue on the sensor, so it will need cleaned at some point, I suppose.  But the 40 subsequent images are just fine.

It looks like this is an amazing little camera too, it is hard to imagine better image quality for the weight.  Busy developing the raws now, more later.

Ken

Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow