Are off camera fllash cords interchangeable? Olympus/Canon?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
Thank's for the info
In reply to Guy Parsons, Nov 17, 2012

You have been brave enough to test. Now I'm a believer

I, on the other hand, use flashes mostly in TTL or RC-modes. Works fine for me.

The T32 flashes are mostly used on flashstands with umbrellas or other modifiers, and triggered mostly either with radio-control or flash-light-sensors - and on manual mode, metered basicly by a separate flash meter and a test. About any flash can be used that way.

The setup I wrote earlier (for extra power in churches or some other large rooms) is like this:

1. FL 50 on camera hotshoe, TTL-mode: adjusts the final exposure. Sometimes with an softener, if I need to shoot close-ups.

2. T32 on OM-power bounce grip, (extra batteries!) on the left side of E3, aimed mostly to the ceiling. Full power (mostly). Triggered with a pc-cord.
- We usually have white ceilings here in Finland, so the ceiling behaves quite well as a reflector.
- every (powerful) flash that can be triggered with a cord somehow would be useable like this, with some flash grip. I just happen to have these...
- softens the shadows in the background, adds some naturally reflected light to the shot, highlights the hair in changing situations...

3. This setup needs always some pre-testing to find the perfect shutter-speed - aperture - iso (->available light) combination. Setup is very useful in situation, where you can't exactly know where the happening / subjects are going to be, or you can't set up the flashstands (parties, all kind of happenings etc).

Cheers!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow