Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,447
Like?
Re: New Zealand trip - lens dilemna
In reply to Tenoch, Nov 17, 2012

Tenoch wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Where in the South Island are you visiting? the most obvious landscape use for a telezoom to me would be picking out mountains from a distance(Mt Cook from the inland side for example), with NZ weather you never know when you might need good range to get some interesting conditions in the best quality aswell.

Are you planning on doing any cruises(Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound etc)? that might limate your ability to stich shots so perhaps something between 21mm and 50mm might be useful like the Samyang 35mm 1.4.

I'm going over a lot of the South. Visiting Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook, Wanaka, Queenstown & surrounds, Moeraki, Milford & Doubtful Sounds. I will be doing a cruise or two at the Sounds, yes. I was going to rely mostly on the 21mm there, and crop if I need to.

Was considering the 85/1.8g, a 70-300 used (or rented), or perhaps a Voigtlander 90mm APO Lanthar SL II for a telephoto option.

That is quite a large gap between 21mm and 50mm, looking back at my own pics from the cruises in my compact days I was using around 35mm alot as foreground is obviously hard to include. I just mentioned the Samyang because it seemed to offer really first rate optics without costing the earth, I'm guessing a slightly wider view might be better for some shoreline pano's aswell.

Some recommendations I'd make for locations are...

The Rob Roy Track - Just into Mt Aspring National Park from Wanaka, the best daywalk I did in New Zealand ending in a great overlook of a mountain face/glacier, does need a few car stream crossings so probabley not best to do after heavy rain if you've not got a 4x4.

Humboldt Falls - The hidden jem of NZ waterfalls for me and a great stand in for the Sutherland Falls if you can't do the Milford Track, triple tier fall about 300 meters high. If you divert off the Milford road down the Hollyford Valley for a few miles is very close to the end of the road where the hollyford track starts. Probabley best suited to a tele lens though as the best view isnt from the base.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow