Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chumphries
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
24-70 L vs 2 Primes
Nov 17, 2012

I'm trying to deciding between purchasing the Canon 24-70 L f/2.8 or two primes (Canon 28mm f/1.8 and Canon 50 mm f/1.4).

I know the price of the 24-70 is double the cost of two primes. I'm new to DSLRs and photography in general so I'm in the process of learning all I can. Assuming budget is not an issue, when learning photography and getting the most enjoyment of your equipment can someone offer some insight into a purchasing decision.

I want to be able to take portraits of my family (thus the 50) and have a good low light walk around lens (the 28). With all the problems I've read about the softness of these two primes when wide open, I wondered if I'd be happier with a higher quality zoom even though it maxes out at 2.8. But since I'm still learning, I think the primes will help me learn more.

My current camera is the Canon t4i with 18-135 and 55-250, and I'm borrowing my friend's 50mm f/1.8.

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow