Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062Gear list
Like?
My experience travelling with the RX100 and NEX7
Nov 17, 2012

This past week I made a trip to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand (beautiful area, BTW). In the past I'd brought my a900 on such trips, but a few months back I bought a NEX7 as a favour to my back. Great camera for lighter travel, especially with the SEL18-200 on it. Most times I travel  I will also carry a pocket camera (the s95 and s100 in the past) for quick snaps. This time around it was the RX100.

Well, you know what? The NEX barely saw any action. Only took it out of its bag at one 'temple' complex (really, more of a large installation art piece), and even then the RX100 gave me more images.

Don't get me wrong: I like the NEX7. And what it can do for portraits the RX100 cannot touch. But for typical travel scenes, one is hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two. And the RX100's controls are also more intuitive to me (though the NEX7's tri-navi system is not bad, especially compared to the 5n I used to own). I'm seriously considering leaving my NEX at home on my next trip.

Didn't take any controlled comparison shots... I was on vacation after all. But here are some shots of the same subjects as taken by the two cameras (yes, they're not especially inspiring shots ... just the same subjects). [Shot in RAW and converted in ACR7]. Best to click on 'original size' to see a sharper image.

First, the NEX7:

This scene exceeded the dynamic range of both cameras...

Now the RX100:

Clouds a little blown out... should have shot at lower exposure and pulled up the shadows

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow