SB-800 flash overexposure with D600?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Questions thread
Dan
Dan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,374Gear list
Like?
Thanks for your suggestion
In reply to D Knisely, Nov 17, 2012

I checked my overexposed pictures, and they're all at ISO400, so Auto ISO didn't boost the ISO in those instances.

Do you think Auto ISO might be causing the problem in some other way? I will try shooting with it disabled.

D Knisely wrote:

Dan wrote:

Is anyone getting overexposed indoor shots with their D600 and SB-800? I'm using TTL in P mode (Auto ISO sets it to ISO 400). It doesn't always do it. I was wondering if I would get more reliable exposures with their newer 9xx series flashes.

Turning off Auto-ISO with flash work is highly advisable. The results have always been erratic and somewhat unpredictable, even in the pro bodies.

Auto-ISO boosts the ambient exposure (boosting ISO, if need be, not just shutter speed) to such a high level in interior settings that the flash invariably over-exposes something. TTL just doesn't address all those variable "ideally" and reduce the ambient exposure. In reality, the camera is doing what you're telling it to; that just produces bad images.

Doug

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow