Considering updrading from RX100 to NEX-5N or NEX-6

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mellowmark
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering updrading from RX100 to NEX-5N or NEX-6
In reply to ennemkay, Nov 17, 2012

ennemkay wrote:

if you want pancakes, great low-light and better-than-rx100 IQ then your only option is one of the new olympus pens with the sony sensor.

Yes, I agree - if you want: small camera, small fast lens, fast autofocus then look at an E-PM2 or E-PL5 (or OMD if within budget). Twin the camera with a fast lens like the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and you have a great low light combination for fast moving kids.

Other (not ideal) option is getting an LA-EA2 for your Nex and using Alpha (A mount) lenses on your Nex - will provide faster AF and the lenses are cheaper with more to choose from. Or you could get a Sony SLT camera + Alpha lenses instead of the Nex - A37 is the smallest but still some way bigger than a Nex.

The Nex is a great camera that does a lot of things well - but fast AF on moving kids in low light is not really one of them. If you do stick with the Nex though, then the forthcoming 35mm f1.8 is a nice focal length for indoor and general use. But at least here in the UK the price of the A mount 35mm f1.8 + LA-EA2 adapter still works out cheaper than buying the E-mount 35mm on it's own @ £400! It would be a rather odd way of doing things for someone who did not have an a-mount camera and it would add bulk to the Nex but it would at least give you faster AF at no extra monetary expense.

If it was me though and I had the money, I would be looking at an OMD + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 for small camera + low light + fast AF + fast moving kids indoors. Or for less money the E-PM2 or E-PL5, + possibly the new Olympus 17mm lens as an alternative too. I would have suggested the Olympus 45mm f1.8 but that is most likely nowhere near wide enough for your needs.

Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow