Overcoming some of the limitations of a D600

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,750Gear list
Like?
Here are ny responses
In reply to anirbana, Nov 17, 2012

anirbana wrote:

First, this is not a D600 dust or oild thread.

Thank God.

1. Max shutter speed of 1/4000.

In my mind that is not a big limitation. I have always owned cameras with max shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. But I really can't remember when was the last time I shot at that speed. I have frequently gone up to around 1/2000 but not any faster. To be able to make an informed decision, what you can do is download one of the "free" photo analysis software programs and run it on your computer. It will show you a complete analysis of counts of images you have shot at different shutter speeds. If you find you shoot a lot at faster shutter speed, then D600 is not a camera for you. Given the fact that you can go down to 50 ISO equivalent in D600, it only helps you stay under that shutter speed.

2. Flash sync speed of 1/200th of a second.

Again, not a big issue in my mind. Even if that hit the limit for a fill flash situation, you can simply dial in to "Auto FP" to support much faster shutter speed - technically up to 1/4000 sec.

3. Aperture control in movie mode-

Not a problem unless you are an avid videographer that needs to control depth of field every moment. Even if you are, the workaround is simple. Simply stop, change the aperture and start shooting again. I don't know how many amateurs change apertures while shooting video. As far as I know, most of the camcorders don't let you change you apertures at all.

4. AF-ON -

If your shooting habit involves using the AF-ON to track focus, then this could be a problem. But only you can tell whether this is a problem for you or not. I use the AF-ON exclusively when I shoot my kids sports. So, that would've been a big problem for me if I was considering D600.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated. No dust or oil comments please.

Oil spots is not a problem at all. One really needs to learn to clean the sensor if they want to use a DSLR. We had the same problem with D3. But it literally went away after the first thousand or so shots.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow