500mm Mirror f6.3 or a 500 f8 fixed telephoto lens

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Emphyrio2
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?
Re: 500mm Mirror f6.3 or a 500 f8 fixed telephoto lens
In reply to digit, Nov 17, 2012

Hello Digit,

I have a 500mm f6.3 Canon mount Pro-Optic that I purchased from Adorama for about $150. I am very pleased with this lens.  The lens is totally manual and lacks image stabilization, but it has insane reach and high image quality for the price.  I remember reading that a cropped image from a cheap 70-300 zoom would have better quality than an un-cropped image from a 500 mm mirror lens.  I found the opposite to be true.  I have attached a few sample images, all of which are hand held shots.  I like to shoot with this lens at ISO 1600, to get a fast shutter speed.  Manual focus can be very fun when you get the hang of it.  An argument can be made that a young aspiring photographer can benefit from experience with manual focus.  I recommend this lens.  The Vivitar might be just as good, but I don't have any experience with it.  Also, I recommend the f6.3 over the f8 because it is less extreme.  It has a bigger aperture for more light gathering and still has plenty of reach.

JAH

Female Northern Cardinal

Bunny rabbit on my street

Brown Thrasher

Male Northern Cardinal

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow