Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jorrit
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
EOS M - USB control (or lack thereof)
Nov 16, 2012

Received my EOS M a few days ago. Of course, the first thing I did was mount the largest lens I could find on it, and have a laugh at it's expensive. Yes, the AF is as bad as everybody says, and I'm not much impressed by the IQ either.

I make DSLR Controller so naturally what I was after was seeing how much remote control was possible. I had read somewhere EOS Utility control would be available, so I installed the updated EOS Utility from the CD and was surprised to learn that it does absolutely nothing useful with the EOS M.

So I fired up a debug version of DSLR Controller to see what was going on, and guess what - USB control is not completely absent. It is possible to read out a lot of settings but most of them are not writable - aside from aperture, shuttertime and ISO speed. The traditional "capture" command appears to be blocked, as well as liveview (the camera's display also becomes unusable once you connect something over USB).

I've not really looked at it in-depth, and I might have to revisit some things I've stated here, but my initial impression is that the USB control is intentionally ´╗┐crippled´╗┐, it looks very similar to 650D firmware, but with all the nice bits blocked out.

Thought people might want to know. Tethered shooting will (unless Canon released a nice firmware update, hopefully and improbably also improving AF) only be with remote release cables / transmitters, not via USB solutions such as computers and phones/tablets.

EOS M firmware version: 1.0.6

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow