Started Nov 16, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PerrimanSmythe
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Lens for full-height people shots.
Nov 16, 2012

I'm not much into people photography (although I sometimes do candid in the streets), but I'm in a mood to try outdoor model shots (luckily, I know a couple of nice girls who are willing to pose).

I want to understand what lens I'm going to need to get a full-height shot with a good subject isolation. Right now, I have a D7000, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 and Nikkor 70-300 VR II. From my experience, 35mm doesn't give desired effect at a proper shooting distance. 70-300, on the other hand, can be quite good for head portraits or for a full-height shots, but the subject has to be quite far from me and from the background. Also, it has to be stopped down to get maximum sharpness, thus expanding the DoF.

So, what focal lengths are preferred for full-height shooting? Would I need a fast prime?

I might get my hands on the D600 sometime later, which will give me shallower DoF, and I also can buy 85mm manual-focus f/1.5 prime that twists the out-of-focus background and has a slight soft effect. Maybe I should get that one?

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow