Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hatem95
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
Nex-6 first impressions
Nov 16, 2012

After a long struggle with Amazon, I was saved by a very helpful Adorama  sales person called Julio Figueroa who managed to send me the camera in a few hours after I ordered it and 2 hours before I left Chicago back home to Cairo. Seems we forget because of the web that there is still something called PHONE ORDERS which is pretty fast and nothing beats contacting a human being and giving him the cirrect address instead of an automated online system which forcefully corrects the hotel address and adds a letter A which messed up my shipment.

Some Tips

1. I tried downloading the playmemory applications but the camera wouldnt let me because the login I allready have for PSN is registered to Egypt so I just created a new fake PSN  with another email with the address listed as If I am in the USA and voila I am installing all the applications like a charm.

2. The built in flash suc#ks so I used my Nikon SB-700 and I was extremely disappointed, the results are OK but since I am using the camera in full manual mode so with the exposure/Shutter speed combo I am using and with the camera not communicating with the flash, the LCD becomes so dim that it is unusable so you photographing in the dark. I tried cancelling the LIVE VIEW DISPLAY, so the LCD is bright again but this is stupid because I am losing a major advantage of the camera, so PLEASE SONY we need a cheaper slightly smaller than the HVL-60.

3. Communicating with my smart phone ( Samsung Note 1) works like a charm but you have to download the application from the android store first.

4. Contrary to other reports the WIFI is fast enough just takes a couple of seconds to log on to my home network which is protected with WEP

5. the EVF is dull, dim and uninteresting, the LCD is better.

I wont comment on anything else because I guess everything else was covered by you guys except that the noise performance is equal to the 5N but far inferior to my Nikon D800. I think Sony is doing an awful lot of artificial noise reduction.  Otherwise a marvelous piece of equipment and I would seriously consider dumping most of my Nikon lenses when I get a decent external Sony flash because the results I had with the SB700 are outstanding.

Enjoy the camera, you wont regret it.

Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt
https://plus.google.com/photos/105556169611010729173/albums
http://www.pbase.com/hatem35/root&page=2

hatem95's gear list:hatem95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF +2 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow