D600 oil spots: time for class action lawyers Locked

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,309Gear list
Re: Page 12 of the dpreview review is worth a visit.
In reply to JJonasL, Nov 16, 2012

It reports in low light central AF points work betterthan outer AF points. So they should

These are f8 sensitivity compared to f5.6 outer point sensitivity. The D800 is similar.

I am speculating the dpreview D800, like mine, did not have an AF issue because nothing was reported. So far I have seen 91 dpreview images about D800 focus not using good targets, and none using good targets. Perhaps a part of the issue is some are testing D800 outer points indoors in low light.

That aside dpreview noted some extra D600 dust after about 4 weeks use i.e. not new out of the box. If the mirror box stop down lever moves at a different speed (1/4000 top speed) to other models and creates different air turbulence, or has more oil on it is pure speculation by me - but otherwise there seems nothing different between left and right side of the mirror box to cause extra dust.

dpreview have yet to report if a second D600 clean is needed on their copy after 8 weeks use. My original D3 needed an oil clean early on, but apart from normal sensor cleaning that was it.

Edit - I did not throw my D3 out of the pram because of the first oil issue. The retailer did the first sensor clean for me and I went on to take some of my best digital images using it

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow