QImage - Why Print Sharpening Is An Added Benefit

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,566Gear list
Like?
Re: QImage - Why Print Sharpening Is An Added Benefit
In reply to Phil BH, Nov 16, 2012

Phil BH wrote:

Lightroom also has a setting for print sharpening when exporting and image. An image sharpened for printing looks slightly "crunchy" when viewed on the screen in my experience. Just a generalization.

I've noticed that too.  When using USM in Photoshop, images with enough sharpening for inkjet printing looked a bit crunchy at 100 percent views.  Some standalone sharpening programs like Nik allow you to set the type of sharpening for a specific output device (monitor, inkjet, etc.) and see a "soft proof" that will look right on the display, but apply the selected amount to the final print.  I've found it's a convenient way to help standardize the workflow.

The Nik plug-in also has an input RAW sharpening module to use at conversion to prepare the file for output sharpening later, but I've never tried it.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow