For Hockey, Figure Skating , Zoo and mostly landscapes is SEL55210 good enough?

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
shaolin95
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
Re: For Hockey, Figure Skating , Zoo and mostly landscapes is SEL55210 good enough?
In reply to santiclaws, Nov 16, 2012

santiclaws wrote:

The zoo should be fine, but unless you're shooting in pro venues with terrific lighting, hockey and figure skating are going to be REALLY tough. The NEX is not a great camera for sports in the first place and you chose two of the toughest sports to capture well. You usually need a fast focusing DSLR and a fast lens (like a 70-200/2.8) to shoot hockey and figure skating. Dim lighting + fast action = very challenging shooting conditions. Your camera's AF is not going to be able to keep up with the action and your lens is not fast enough to freeze the action. The 18-200mm isn't going to be any better. Your best bet is to capture scenes which are stationary - skaters during stops in their routines, players before the faceoff, etc.

How about using high ISO to compensate? I did some shooting with my Pentax K20D before and it was not fantastic, tons of bad shots but I still was able to get something decent. But high ISO with the K20D is not on par with the 6 so it took lots of cleaning.
Yeah I had to pick the worst ones for a poor man

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow