Are you worried about the D800's build quality?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
Re: Rather...
In reply to Leo360, Nov 16, 2012

And here is the real problem.  Nikon's famed lack of communication.

"Don't clean the sensor, it will void your warranty."

And then they sell a sensor cleaning kit in Japan.  And, of course, everybody here tells people to clean the sensor.

Even that is pretty good communication for Nikon - they studiously avoid discussing anything else.  It would be easy to say "Hey, we've had a small problem with the 10 pin connectors, if they ever break, we will fix it."  The AF is a tad trickier since determining whether or not it's an issue in the first place for a given camera requires some skill.

However, working on the problem instead of sticking their heads in the sand would make a lot of customers much happier.  I don't particularly care if this is the "Japanese" approach.  I'm not Japanese and I want my vendors to communicate with me on an honest and detailed level.  It's not like this stuff is disposable - I have a fair amount of money tied up in Nikon gear.

After being in the Nikon camp for over a decade, I'm having more and more problems supporting a company who's communication and support policies are simply awful (failure to repair, even out of warranty, a non US camera or lens).

As the playing field gets more crowded, I find myself looking at slowly switching somewhere else.  I'm not there yet, but a few more missteps on Nikon's part would encourage me to start looking elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow