Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L vs. Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L II w/ IS ???

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,472Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L vs. Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L II w/ IS ???
In reply to Daluke, Nov 16, 2012

gloveguy wrote:

I'm purchasing the 5d Mark III. I've been using Canon's 70-200 f/2.8L for several years now (original version w/o IS). I've been very satisfied with its overall performance, particularly with respect to street portrait work as well as limited sport photography; airshows, auto racing and the like.

That said, there are times where IS would be a useful option for me as the vast majority of my work is handheld.

My question is for for anyone who's shot with both lenses (the original 70-200 f/2.8) as well as the new, 'II' version. Is there a significant difference in image quality between the two (not taking into consideration whether or not they're IS equipped)?

Thanks!

Surprised you haven't gotten any responses to this yet.

Although I don't have any personal experience with either lens (I've got the 70-200 f/4L IS), based on the reviews I've read, as well as the glowing user reports that have regularly been posted on this forum, I think the answer to your question is that the f/2.8L IS II is very significantly sharper than the f/2.8L.  Indeed, when anyone wants to give an example of how good a zoom lens can be, the usual example cited is the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Recommend you take a look at the Photozone and Digital Picture reviews of the II.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow