Primes vs Zooms (which Zeiss to choose if I pull the trigger on a99)

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
J Birn
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?
Re: Primes vs Zooms (which Zeiss to choose if I pull the trigger on a99)
In reply to josseee, Nov 16, 2012

I've been using the CZ 24-70 with my a99, and it's great. Consistently quick, silent, accurate AF, great image quality, I've found zero need to correct anything about the lens in Lightroom (no noticeable distortion or CA in my shots.)

The downside is that the thing is huge and heavy. I don't know why it's so much longer than my Sony 70-300G when they are both zoomed to 70mm (heck, even when they are both zoomed all the way out, so the 24-70 is at its "24mm" setting, it's almost as long as the 70-300G.) And expensive. But otherwise great.

I recently bought a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 because I wanted something smaller. I've been hating the thing so far: In low-light situations where the a99 can AF like a champwith the 24-70, it sometimes stalls and can't even find a focus lock with the Sigma 50mm. Shooting at f/1.4 there's some CA, especially in the areas that are a little out of focus (I think what they call "bokeh CA" is a separate measure.) I like the reasonable size, but once I have the 24-70 I guess the reality is I don't need any primes within that zoom range. Maybe what you said, a 135, or an 85, would pair with it well. I don't have any really bright telephoto, so a prime could be good there. But I think the CZ 24-70 spoiled me so I became used to high quality optics, and it's hard to go back to compromises that deliver less than that.

Sorry if this post doesn't fully answer your question. I hope you'll find many posts on dyxum about all of these already, and of course you don't need to buy all the lenses you'll ever use at once.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow