A gear question: Summicron 28mm ASPH

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Olaf Ulrich
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
Re: A gear question: Summicron-M 28 mm Asph
In reply to A Guy Platt, Nov 16, 2012

A Guy Platt wrote:

I'd like to know a bit more about the lens and the also the problem on the M9 as I am not going to be able to try the lens before purchasing.

No problem here. My sample is 6-bit-coded, and I'm using it on the M9 with automatic lens recognition on. When using a non-coded sample then you can always select it from the camera's menu. The colours are not perfectly even across the frame—but it's no worse than with most other wide-angle lenses also. To notice, you'd need to shoot an evenly lit white or grey wall or something. In real-world pictures, no issues.

It's a marvellous lens, and if you can get one at a good price then don't hesitate! If you don't like it (which is unlikely) then you'll be able to get rid of it at no loss anytime. But beware—with the hood attached, it's a big lens. The hood is huge but effective—I like that. Also consider the Elmarit-M 28 mm Asph which is every bit as good as the Summicron, just one stop slower and much smaller. When small size and light weight are not too far up on your list of requirements then you'll love the Summicron-M 28 mm Asph.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow