Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Minjaboy
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Indoor Sports: 85mm F1.8 or F1.4?
Nov 16, 2012

I just purchased the Nikon D600 and my interest are primary sports (my daughter's HS indoor volleyball) and portraits.

I have this lens:
Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (just purchased yesterday and haven't shot any volleyball shots yet)

(Also considering getting the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX SDM OS FLD for outdoor soccer and possibly indoor volleyball)

My question today is specific to indoor volleyball in typical dimly lit volleyball gyms:
Will I get better results with my Sigma 85mm F1.4 compared to a 85mm F1.8 (let's say the Nikon 85mm F1.8G AF-S)?

I understand that F1.4 will get me about 2/3 stop more light compared to F1.8. However, what if I am shooting both lenses at F1.8 or F2.0, do I still get better results with the Sigma F1.4 lens?

The challenge that I have seen even at F1.8 is that it's so hard to focus due to the shallow DoF. If it's so hard to get a sharp picture at F1.8, what's my chance of getting decent shots at F1.4? I might end up shooting at F2 and above anyway so should I just get the cheaper Nikon 85mm F1.8?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow